Sunday, July 28, 2013

Cali Summer Vacation Part 1

So, we had plans to come to California in August. We had set-up to go to Newport with Shaun's Dad and his family and then driving up to Sacramento and spending a few days with friends and family and then Shaun was going to fly home on Wednesday so he could get back to work and I was going to stay through the week and spend more time with family. But, my wonderful friend Kimberly Perry called me about 2 weeks after we made all our plans and told me she was getting married at the end of July. I was super excited and knew I wanted to be there for the wedding but wasn't sure how I was going to work it out money wise. Things have been a little tight this summer but I really wanted to go. So we worked it out and off I went to California 5 weeks earlier than anticipated. I wasn't sure what I was going to do. If I was going to go home early and then just drive out to Cali again with Shaun in August or not. But after crunching some numbers and finding some really cheap flights with Allegiant Air.. I decided to stay in California for 5 whole weeks. I'm missing Shaun and I know he's missing us and his babies but this was the cheapest option for us!! :-) Only 2 more weeks until I see him again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.. so they say!! I'm thinking that it's true! 
So, despite being away from home.. we've been having a super fun time!! I wanted to do a lot of smaller posts rather than a huge one, but I haven't had the chance so time to catch up!!!
We drove 6 hours to Fresno and stayed with my brother and his family for a couple of days since my parents were at Girl's Camp. We had a lot of fun staying with them and playing with Roxy and Lacey. The first day we went to Kingsburg, CA. It's about 20 minutes south of Fresno and it's an old Swedish town. It was so cute and we had so much fun learning a little more about Swedish culture. 

Jake and Roxy snuggling on a huge Dala horse. They are a common souvenir in Swedish gift shops. I'll put the story of the Dala horse and how it came about at the end of this post if you want to read a little history.
One of the many coat of arms!! Oh and my bro and sis-in-law!! 
This coat of arms is for the historical province of Smaland!! 

There are many different ones for different areas in Sweden!! They had many 
of them lined up along the outside wall of one of the buildings!!

Some of the drawings on the window of a Laundromat!!

The Sweden and American flags, a Dala horse and my bro!!

Getting cool and looking cool, waiting for our lunch in a cute little Cafe.

Jakey's favorite thing to do with water cups. Stick his hand in and pull out the ice.

I didn't get a chance to take a picture of what we ate but Julie got a cheese and bread sampler. Some of the cheese was a little funky but most of the bread was yummy and the best of course was the Lingonberry jam!! Yummy stuff!!

Another shot on the Dala horse with the girls and Chris!!

Story of the Dala Horse
You can trace the historical origin of the Dala Horse to the lumberjack's cabins as early as 1624. Often the lumberjacks relaxed by carving figures from odd pieces of wood. The popular choice was a horse. These were taken home to the children where they became treasured toys. These wooden horses came originally from the Mora village of Vattnas , Rise, Bergkalas and Nusnas. Nine people are involved in the making of one horses from the Nusnas factory.
A horse represented a creature of great value, a tower of strength in helping the family. A faithful friend who drew loads in the forest during winter, worked in the fields and meadows in spring and summer and carried equipment up to the delightful summer pastures and adjoining chalets. It also provided transportation between villages and parishes and trips to the mill and to the market. There was so much pleasure with a horse. Children really enjoyed their company. They could ride bareback and many children were able to sit on it's broad strong back at the same time.
During the 19th century, it became the custom to paint the wooden horses with richly colored flower patterns like the Dala painting that decorated furniture and interior walls. Tinkers traveled about the country to sell products of the cottage industry. Their wares were baskets, grinding stones and wooden casks. Often they took Dala horses to add to their collection of goods. The Dala horses were sometimes used as payment for board and lodging.

No comments: