Friday, September 14, 2012

Exploring the great outdoors in Vegas


 Well, it's been a little bit since my last post but nothing has really happened so I have had little to post about... Until today!! So Shaun came home from a job interview yesterday (he quit his pest control job because there were some not so awesome things going on.. so he started "looking for something else) and said.. let's go!! I said, "what? where are we going?" He said it's a surprise!" Well I had a Relief Society activity and we wouldn't have made it back in time so he said "we'll go tomorrow!" Well I love surprises but I have a really hard time waiting for them.. I can usually persuade Shaun in some way or other to tell me what he has planned.. but this time he stuck his ground and I didn't know where we were going until I saw the sign that said Mt. Charleston and he turned onto that road.. It was still a good surprise. I haven't been up in the mountains for awhile and I seriously didn't believe Shaun when he said it was a lot cooler but we drove up and up and up and stopped near a place called Kyle's canyon, and I got out of the car and it felt amazing!!! It was so nice to feel a little cool, mountain air breeze. It made me miss Cali a lot. Anyways, a lot of the side roads were closed because it has been raining a lot lately and there was a lot of erosion going on. So we just stopped on the side of the road and found a easy, little trail called Fletcher Canyon Trail. Jake was crying towards the end of our drive and as soon as we pulled him out and put him down on the trail he was soo happy!! He loves being outside!! Anyways, here are some pictures from our little excursion!
 
Alas, there is some beauty in Las Vegas!!! :-) It was funny because we were driving through the desert and Shaun says, "Isn't this beautiful?" I said, "Um, not really. It's a bunch of dirt and ugly desert plants!" About 20 minutes down the road and closer to the mountain it started looking less like desert and more like forest. Shaun says, "What about now?" I said, "Ok.. it's a lot prettier now!" He has been trying so hard to get me to appreciate the "beauty" of Las Vegas. Well I think I appreciate it more when I'm 25 miles away from the city. :-) A lot more beautiful out here. Who knew??
 

At the trail head. Jake would not look at the camera.. BOOGER!!


Me and my kiddos.. What is that face Savannah? This is a rare picture.. Jake is smiling and Savannah is not.. That almost never happens!
 
 Dad threw some rocks!!!
 So of course Jake had to too!! I think he was excited that I didn't get mad at him for throwing them.
 Trying to pick up the big one!!
 And he howled at the moon! or the sun I guess!! (Actually, a dog was on the trail coming down while we were going up.. He was aww-wooing like a dog when I snapped this shot!!) Sorry it's blurry but I thought it was funny!!
 And looked at me like I was crazy for taking pictures of him in his natural habitat!
 Then Savannah had to eat some rocks.
 and smile while she ate some rocks!
 and Dad kept trying to stop her from eating rocks!
 And then Jake picked up a really big rock and threw it. I'm surprised he didn't drop it on his toe.. He is stronger than I thought!
Smiling like a goof!! Daddy holding onto the rock so he doesn't throw it again!!
 Then Savannah decided to hang from the tree like a monkey!!
 So of course Jake had to do it too!!
 
And again on another branch!! He kept saying "up daadee!
 
 Cutest pic ever!! I think she already has him wrapped around her little finger!! Don't you?
 Trying to get her to look at the camera!!
 Just have Daddy take the picture!!
 Walking in the wilderness is his favorite thing to do!! He took off right a
 My explorer!! He was not scared at all!!
 My cute girl!!
 
And of course a family pic!! Not the best one ever.. I had to balance the camera on a rock that was balanced on a tree branch and then set the timer and run up the tiny hill, grab Jake, try to get Savannah to look at the camera and not me, and get Jake to smile too!! I wasn't super successful!! But it's still cute!!
And probably my favorite shot of the whole trip!! Cute!!

3 comments:

Capell said...

I love your blog updates! You guys are such a cute family!

Shanna said...

Great scenery and beautiful family. So glad you are finding the beauty around your new home. You guys are greatly missed, but so excited for your new adventures. Love you guys!

jmw said...

I'm tuning in, will have to read up on older posts. Your commentary is hilarious! The pictures are so fun and you look beautiful, Brittany!