Thursday, November 29, 2012

Setting up the Christmas Tree

Christmas is my favorite time of the year. It makes me feel so happy!! I really wanted to get Christmas stuff set up the day after Thanksgiving but I got really sick and didn't move much the past 7 days. :-( It was an awful week with all of the trips to the ER and Urgent Care for Savannah and her mouth problems and then me being so sick and Shaun being so busy with finals coming up. My house is messy and I have loads and loads of laundry to catch up on. Blah to this week.. And now, my kids and Shaun and starting to have the same symptoms I had.. I'm going to load them up with vitamin C and hope and pray they don't get hit as hard as me. Savvy especially; she has definitely been through enough this week. I posted what happened to her on Facebook but I should write it on here too. I'll add it to the bottom of the post, after the pictures.
But, I'm FINALLY feeling better. I still have a cough but I don't feel so lethargic and out of it so I got all the Christmas stuff out and we put it up. In our apartment it seemed like I had a lot of stuff but in the house it just seems like nothing. I'll have to shop after Christmas sales to start bulking up my Christmas collection. :-)
Anyways, it feels so good to have the tree set-up. I'm going to have to start wrapping presents. I have all my shopping done. I just have to wait for a lot of it to come in the mail and wrap it. I'm so excited for Christmas this year.. time is going to fly and then I'll be home with my family.
 

Jake helping me put the beads on. He has been on a hat kick again. It seems like he goes on and off. But I think that he will end up a hat man. Which is fine with me. I love hats on guys!!
 
Savvy playing with the beads!

 
He was so focused and determined to get those beads on the tree and to help me. He kept pulling stuff out of boxes and asking me where to put them. He really is a good little helper when he wants to be. He loves unloading the dishwasher and helping me put clothes into the dryer.

 
 
 
 
This is another new thing.. the hands on the ribs thing. I don't know if he's mimicking me putting my hands on my hips or what  but he's been doing it a lot..

SAVANNAH'S STORY
 
This past Monday, I was really sick and pretty much spent the whole day and week on the couch. Jake watched a lot of Toy Story and ate a lot of sandwiches. I was pretty out of it. I don't get sick very often but when I do, it hits me hard!! Anyways, Jake has been taking the battery cover off of the remote a lot lately so I've had to keep it up. But of course somehow he got it and took the cover off and left it on the floor. Well, Savvy loves to put everything in her mouth.. (especially now since she's teething)... She found the cover thing and put it in her mouth and I'm not sure exactly what happened because I was resting on the couch but she starts crying and I see the battery cover in her mouth and pull it out and start to comfort her. She was in full-out, uncontrollable crying mode. I thought she was going to die.. and then the blood came. It wasn't a lot but it was enough to make me nervous. I tried to look in her mouth to see where it was coming from but I couldn't get her to hold still and I couldn't see very well. I just gave her some cold water to help numb it and then waited until Shaun got home so he could help me look at it. By the time he got home she seemed to be doing better and ate dinner and everything. We tried to look in her throat but we couldn't get a really good view. It looked red back there and you could tell there were some kind of cuts but it was hard to see. I thought maybe I should take her to urgent care just to be safe (they close at 8) but Shaun thought she would be fine. But then bedtime came and she wouldn't stop crying.. Every time we tried to give her the bottle she would drink a little then cry out in pain.. and every time she would hiccup or burp or swallow she would start crying again.. We decided to take her to the ER after getting a better look at her throat.. There were two puncture marks at the back of her throat on either side of that little dangling ball thing.. We wanted to make sure nothing serious got damaged.
Shaun insisted on taking her because I was so sick but I felt bad because he has sooo much homework to do. But he won and took her. However, he couldn't find his phone before he left and Savvy was crying so hard that he just left before he found it. Right after he left I found it in the couch and called my cousin Kyle to come and help me out. He stayed with Jake while he was sleeping and I borrowed their car and ran down to the ER to give Shaun his phone. I was just going to turn around and come home but I wanted to stay with my baby. I tried to get Shaun to go home but he wanted to stay too. We didn't get called back until midnight. Savannah was past exhausted but wouldn't go to sleep because her throat was bothering her so much. The doctor came in and said he couldn't stitch it up because it was so far back there but that there were definitely some pretty big puncture marks back there. He told me just to watch her closely, make sure no food got stuck in the holes, and if she gets a fever of 101 or over then to bring her back. And they gave her antibiotics to stop infection.
The next day, she would eat hardly anything.. even juice and popsicles. I got her to drink a little bit of formula but that's about it. Then around 2 or 3 she started having a fever and being really whiney and cuddly. I took her temp at 4 and it was 101.. at 5 it was 101.5. As soon as Shaun got home, I took her to the urgent care place. They had us checked-in and in the room within a half hour.. That's what I'm talking about!! Her temp had hit 102 by this time and the doctor said that her wound was infected and starting to swell. I could see him debating about what to do but decided on upping the strength of the antibiotics. I had to watch her to make sure she was breathing properly and make sure her fever was controlled. He said if after 2 days she still has a fever then I need to bring her back. Well it's been 2 days now and whenever I give her ibuprofen her fever goes down and she usually sleeps.. but when she wakes up she plays for about 10 minutes and then she starts getting lethargic and cuddly.. and her fever comes back up. She's sleeping right now but if she wakes up with a fever still then I will take her in again.. Poor girl!! She has been eating a little better though and doesn't freak out when I give her the bottle. I just hope that she gets better. On top of that, Jake has a fever too.. I'm not sure what his is from but it's not super high.. More of a low-grade one.
Anyways, that's the crazy happenings going on at our house!! Hope the sickness passes over your houses!!

1 comment:

jmw said...

oh, that's horrible!! what an ordeal for all of you!!